Sunday, April 26, 2009

Adventist Frontier Missions

I just returned a couple of weeks ago from ACTS for Christ, a SDA young adult/youth mission conference in Edmonton and received a calling to join Adventist Frontier Missions (AFM) so I am currently waiting for a response to my offical application for short term service (9 months but can be extended up to 2 years). Its quite an incredible story actually. And it could change everything, I am not sure how this will effect my summer plans, much less my employment, house.... I have to raise money if i am accepted to go somewhere with AFM and training this year starts July 20 in Michigan. Please pray for me, that God's will is done and that everything will work out as it should.

So here's the story:
I had this incredible expereince at ACTS for Christ where I felt a longing or nudging in my heart to want to reach the unreached (those who have never even had opportunity to hear about Jesus due to language or cultural barriers) as described by the speaker from AFM. I felt God talking through him that first day when I asked about if AFM used nurses and when he immediately responded that Palawan in the Philipines really needed a nurse, I couldn't ignore that need. (Interestingly enough, Lorna and her family have visited that island in the Philippines and have met the AFM missionaries in 1996 that I would likely work with if I am accepted.) I finished the set of workshops that weekend and then asked the speaker from AFM how to know if one is called. We talked for a little bit (about how prayer, studying the Bible, a heart longing and providence are ways that God speaks to us) and then he prayed for me that God's will would be revealed and I in my heart really prayed for the same thing; I prayed that I would do whatever God wanted as long as He made it clear to me. The minute we finishd praying, two people I knew, at the same time walked up to us and encouraged me to go on a mission with AFM; God couldn't have spoken clearer! The fact that Lorna and her family had been to that exact village and met the AFM missionaries who are still there was a double sign to me! It was incredible to see God's will revealed so clearly! I am continuing to pray that God's will is done. I jumped right into applying as soon as I got home. Right now i am still in the midst of the paperwork process but should hopefully find out in a few weeks what AFM will decide.

As it turns out, I got home the Tuesday evening after ACTS for Christ and went on the AFM website and filled out the interest form for the Philipines. Then I went to work the next day. After work I received this message to hurry and apply because the deadline was that night and that I hadn't filled out the real application form. So I didn't have much time to think, I just started filling it out (till 2 in the morning!). I just ignored all my fears and questions and jumped right into it because I was/am confident that this is what God wants me to do. Whatever happens I know that, even if it turns out different than I have imagined like maybe I am chosen for a different project or a another year. So I am still in the waiting game filling out paperwork etc.

Another interesting tidbit, is that my current pastor is friends with a nurse who was there at Kemantien for several years. He knows a fair bit about AFM and was able to tell me some things to expect and find pictures for me of Kemantien when his friend was there (he directed me to her fathers online photo album). Its neat how everything is related! Its definitely no accident how everything is falling into place! Praise God! And please pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment